Pages

Friday, February 11, 2011

Rusted. And a Little Wrinkly.

Quonset

Winter annually sends me into fits of creative despair and inaction...a hibernation, really, of creative energy. Every year, I lament it, as if I had no idea that it was coming. When will I learn? I find myself stuck in the same cycle of anti-creativity year after year after year, like if I ignore the signs, the ground won't freeze.

And every year, I sit at my kitchen table, in the patch of sunlight that rests there for a couple of hours a day, reading of other people's inspiration and creation and wonder why I'm not inspired and creating. Then I beat myself up for sitting in the sun patch looking at other people's work and not doing my own and I find myself in an endless cycle of inactivity and self-flagellation and I eat some chocolate because its a mood lifter! Like an anti-depressant!

Bring on the endorphins! Aaah!

I know what I should do. I should make like a polar bear and dig a deep cave and stay there, sleepily waiting for spring to call. I should be living off the fat of last autumn's harvest and conserving my energy for the awakening that is simmering beneath the frozen landscape. I should be hibernating and dreaming of the warm sun that will begin to defrost the tundra of my creativity in another month or so.

I should rest and be patient and gentle with myself.

The tender green shoots will start peeking out of the hard earth soon. I need to be ready.

5 comments:

  1. yes, your advice is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was listening to birds sing today...I'm sure they were talking about Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:48 AM

    Every time I pop in to see what's on your mind you inspire my creative spirit! YOU are the one I go to for inspiration and I always find it.....thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our weather is much better where I live, but I still have days like this (like today when pen in hand, nothing happened), and can totally relate to the self-flagellation bit. It's universal, I think (I hope).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw them thar tender green shoots today, so take heart!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete