Pages

Monday, November 29, 2010

The Saga Continues...(or how social media gets results...) Part I

Left

Look! Pretty picture!

Now, let's get down to business, shall we?

You may remember that I told you about a friendly little chat I had with a Comcast customer service representative a month ago.  Well, Saturday was our install date and because the technician was scheduled to be here between 8 am and 11 am, he arrived at 11 am.

Which was awesome.

Because I love waiting.

Anyway - he comes in and gets to work, attaching cables and bringing in boxes and moving stuff around to get to the outlets. When he's finally done, and he asks us to sign off on the order, we ask a couple of questions, like what is the information needed for the wireless internet and why there is no box for the bedroom TV.

To which he replies, "You signed up for a regular modem. And one box for the living room. And that's all."

Now, when we had the friendly little chat with Husain, he promised to send out an email detailing our order...do you recall? And I told you that his email had nothing to do with our order and was only a confirmation of our install date and time? And how I had very little confidence that anything would be correct?

I hate always being right.

We ordered one (1) HD DVR box for the living room, one (1) HD box for the bedroom, and one (1) WIRELESS (because it's the 21st century, people) modem for the house. All that was to go along with the particular package that we ordered that has HD channels.

He brought and installed one (1) regular digital cable reciever and one (1) regular WIRED modem. So, he brought a box that is not able to even get the channels that we are signed up and supposed to be paying for.

Genius.

He apologized, told us we could take the boxes and modem down to the local office and exchange them out and avoid additional installation charges (which would be substantial if he came back out.)

So. We waited all morning for the guy to get there, he shows up and installs the wrong stuff, and WE can correct it.

I was a little peeved. So I tweeted this:







Shortly afterward, I tweeted this:





Which was true. He said that we'd be surprised how many wrong orders he installs. Especially those that are handled through their web orders.

I didn't tweet those things to affect any change on the universe, but rather to vent to the universe a little. I was pissed, I was tired, I needed to set up my DVR to record Glee. I had things to do, people.

But, did you know there are people who are paid to look at tweets like that? Yes indeedy-do, people. Real live people who have to read our vitriolic rants against the corporate machine.

So, I got a response...





So. did ComcastBill help?

Come back tomorrow for Part II of the saga....

6 comments:

  1. Interesting Diahn. Hmmm I just might have to use tweets to my advantage now. Or not depending on the rest of your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a 'Comcast story' too, similar only in that I received the now-required digital equipment and after the 'simple' set-up found that the TV wouldn't work with their remote, so my 98-year-old mother was left without the ability to control the sound or turn her TV on and off.

    My only options were to a) go without TV (not an option for mother), or b) disconnect everything and drive all the way across the city to exchange the digital box and remote for ones that were presumably working, and GO THROUGH THE ENTIRE PROCESS AGAIN.

    As a result, for the last two months of my mom's life she and I had to cope with trying to explain why she couldn't make the TV work as it had for, oh say THE LAST 65 YEARS OF HER LIFE!

    I hope in part two ole ComcastBill helps you resolve all this, but pardon me if this one time I'm not overly optimistic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on pins and needles...will ComcastBill save the day? Does Comcast have a policy that promises piss-poor service to every individual on the planet? I think they do. And they deliver on this promise. (http://piecesbymelinda.blogspot.com/search?q=Comcast) We should put all these stories together and call Matt Lauer. I'm serious. On a lighter note, love your twitters! Especially the second one

    ReplyDelete
  4. i laughed when i read this. oh twitter is a powerful entity when disgruntled. i have had two bad experiences quickly resolved thanks to twitter. you were nice enough to @ comcast directly. i random ranted against fed ex for a week overdue lost package. not only was i contacted in minutes but my package was found and delivered by end of day. oh yes... social media has brought about a new realm of company responsibility. :] hopefully your issues are resolved quickly and without additional cost. :]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, that is funny, I love the sarcasm. What a nightmare you've had with these people. I particularly loved the twitter thing. Hilarious.
    But if all these companies I'm pissed at have people monitoring, hell, I'm signing up. Cant wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm on the edge of my seat here...what did they do next?

    ReplyDelete