Pages

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I Don't Mean to Brag. Oh Wait. Yes...Yes I Do.

honey_whole_wheat_I

Do you see that bread up there?

That gorgeous, artisan whole wheat loaf of yummy deliciousness?

I made it.

With my own two hands. And a mixer up to the point where it got too gooey and I cast it aside and plunged my own two hands into the goop.

Now. Those who know me know how out of character this whole process is.
A: I did not use a mix.
B: I did not pay someone else to do it.
C: It involved the oven.
4: My hands got gooey stuff on them, and
E: I actually enjoyed the process.
I am not sure what has happened to me.

The recipe I used was from the back of the flour bag, but I found it here, if you're in the mood for a yummy home made bread. It is NOT a dinner roll recipe, despite what the photo might lead you to believe, BUT as I don't bake much outside the occasional birthday cake (from a mix) or lemon poppy seed muffins (from a mix) or brownies (from a mix), I didn't have a loaf pan.

I didn't actually realize I didn't have a loaf pan until I was midway through the first rise and I went to look for my loaf pan and remembered it was in Tennessee, and then I panicked, and then I improvised. I just cut the dough into 8 pieces and rolled it up into balls and slapped it into a round cake pan and made mini loaves.

And then this morning, I cut a mini roll-like loaf into 5 teeny slices and added butter and cinnamon sugar and broiled it and promptly died of glee.

6 comments:

  1. oh....drool. fresh baked bread is a weakness of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks so good! for some odd reason I really like when bread is baked round like this, really like the shape of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is the dawning of the age of Aquarius, the age of Aquarius, Aaa-quaaarrrr-i-uuuus, Aquarius!
    :-D
    Heehee...it's those trips to the farmers market! They'll get you every time! These look absolutely fabulous -I'm so proud of you. I'm expecting to hear next that you're making your own granola and churning your own butter... (which would be great, as long as you bring some over here and share!)

    P.S. I have a great granola recipe, if you need one...
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You definitely have the right to brag, they do look delicious.
    Be careful,you may be expected to perform this miracle a bit more frequently in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Back in my earth mother days, I used to make bread. You're a better woman than me though. I could never wait 5 minutes after it came out of the oven to cut off the ends and eat them with melted butter. Oh, my mouth is really watering now...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:35 PM

    We truly are hermanas! I love to make my own bread, pizza, tortillas, etc....I think I'm going to go bake myself some yumminess for later :)

    ReplyDelete