Pages

Thursday, April 15, 2010

A Huge Helping of Not Perfect

P4110130

I have wonderful children.

He Still Looks Like My Baby

There's mah baby. He's funny and cute and sassy and smart.

Smiley

And there's my big boy. He's sweet and cute and quirky and smart.

But you know what?

They aren't perfect.

(gasp.) (I just heard my mother screech a little in the distance.)

It's true. They aren't perfect because, well...

Lord, He's Cute.

Their father isn't perfect.

(clunk.) (I think that was my mother-in-law fainting.)

(but he's really cute, isn't he?)

Anyhow - obviously their lack of perfection doesn't come from me. I think we've seen time and again how amazingly perfect I am. But, I digress...

So today.  Today.  TODAY. Was not a good day. It was a not perfect day. It was a day that will live in infamy...all over a few math problems, the time it takes to brush teeth, willful disobedience and...

Plush. Stuffed. Animals.

In my defense...I warned them. I cajoled them. I begged and pleaded and gave many many chances.

But now? Let's just say that I am the proud owner of dozens of "stuffies." They live in a large plastic tote box and two plastic bags in the closet of my art room.

I left plenty of openings for air holes.

After much wailing and gnashing of teeth and rending of garments and did I mention the wailing, we had a nice long discussion about responsibilities and respect and out-of-whack priorities and how there will be no "stuffies" returned unless some things change, and then they'd only come back one at a time, as payment for a job well done.

sigh.

I don't want to be the mean mama. But something's gotta give, here, people.

So now, after finishing math and helping me walk the dogs, they're sitting here at the table drawing pictures.

Of the stuffies.

that I stole.

from them.

At least they've stopped crying.

7 comments:

  1. oh yes....i could have put the pictures of my 5 year old niece here too.

    hope it gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I'm sorry you and your's had rough day, but I am ALL OVER the punishment. Since stuffies make up 75% of the things I trip over all day long (the other 25% percent being a mixture of hot wheels and hair things), I think this would be a wonderful motivator to create room cleanliness. Unless they decide they're over stuffies and then you're stuck with bags of them in your closet.

    I might have to join you in meandom and try this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. -->We have limited the number to five in our house. If any try to sneak in, they end up "sleeping with the fishes" while my son is sleeping in his bed. It can get out of hand so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go for it, Karen - I'm considering the idea that they never go back into the room. (I did let them keep their very special ones - the first ones they ever made at Build-a-Bear...because I'm not completely heartless...)

    Deb - I would LOVE that. I am completely embarrassed to even admit to how many stuffies my children have. The storage container and two plastic bags full I mentioned are just the ones that live here in Arlington with us. There are scores more at our house in Knoxville...these children are destined to be on Horders...

    ReplyDelete
  5. or, rather, Hoarders... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. When my son is imperfect, I will remove his toy(s) and stuff it(them) in a "secret hiding place", a closet, a drawer, etc. But then I'll forget where it is. So he may never see it again. Well, what can I say - I'm imperfect.

    Anyway, from now on, I will call you Mary Poppins..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry. This is hilarious! I can remember all the stuffed animals and toys and the little annoying (and sometimes painful) things like Barbie's high heels...
    :-D

    ReplyDelete