Pages

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Upside Down


Upside Down, originally uploaded by diahn.

This is an example of how summer has been in this house. It will surprise many of you to know that during the school year our days are structured and scheduled. We get up at the same time every day, we do the same things at the same time every day, my google calendar beeps little reminders of what is coming next.

This is NOT because I am an innately organized and structured person - no...quite the opposite. If I didn't add reminders in my calendar to vacuum or go to the grocery store or cook supper, those things would likely never happen. I would go to the closet to get out the vacuum cleaner and see a book that I accidentally set down in there the last time I vacuumed and pick it up and read 3 chapters and put it down to get the boys a snack and then wonder what it was I was supposed to be doing today and decide to check my google calendar and get distracted by all those wonderfully well-written and illustrated blogs on google reader and then Dr. SmartyPants would call and say he's on his way home and I'd have to ask him what he wanted to pick up for dinner because I forgot to cook.

No lie. It's happened way too often. Poor man. He is, of course, one of those innately organized people who can't for the life of him imagine how someone can forget to cook supper when you eat supper every single day. How hard can that be?

So, anyhow...this summer all calendars and schedules have gone out the window. It's impossible to take 42 summer vacations and keep to a schedule. But it is starting to wear on me a little. As nice as this free-wheeling, schedule-free life can be, there's something in all of us that craves a little order to the day. So. Order must return. TV watching must cease. Sleeping in late is over. All-day book-reading is a thing of the past.

We'll start tomorrow.

or Thursday. Or maybe on Monday, because it's hard to start a new schedule on a Thursday because then you have the weekend coming up and...

1 comment:

  1. Monday. Start on Monday. Summer should last a while longer...

    ReplyDelete