Pages

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

T minus 30 days and Counting

I awoke this morning with the urge to check my calendar and see exactly how many days were left before I turn 40. I was stunned to see that it is exactly 30. 30 days left of my 30s. 30 days until my 40s. Wow. So - being the compulsive and obsessive industrious person that I am, I have decided to obsess selflessly document the process. 

That does, of course, require a logo.


I don't exactly have a handle on where this particular journey is going to take me, only that it will end up on my birthday with a giant celebration of the 40 years I've been given on this fabulous planet. See - here's the thing...I thought this whole concept would kill me. Turning 40? Good golly - I remember when the characters on thirtysomething seemed ancient. How can I possibly turn 40? But I'm finding this strange sweetness in the years - a marveling of the changes I've seen in the world around me and the ones inside me.

I was talking with Melinda last night and we were joking, as we often do, about our neurotic selves and how everyone else seems to get along just fine without dissecting every last emotion and action and moment and dust mite, while we have to blablablablabla about our angst and foibles and all. It hit me, suddenly, that perhaps we aren't so much neurotic as we are overly truthful. Come on - it can't just be us that are so messed up and confused about how to raise our children, to manage our households and love our husbands even when they pass by that same pair of shoes on the floor 900 times, right? We just have no problem sharing it endlessly on occasion.  

So - what does this have to do with my upcoming 4th decade of life? Absolutely nothing. Just sharing too much information, as we neurotic people are wont to do.  

I hope you'll join me in this last gasp of thirtyness. I'll try to make it interesting so you'll send me lots of presents want to continue reading, but I can't promise anything. I'm no spring chicken, after all.

Baby D

4 comments:

  1. Is your b'day on 28th August? That's my little girl's birthday, and I am an August gal too ... It's a very fine month to be born in!

    I'm only 2 years behind you, and although on occasion I find myself bemoaning the fact that I cannot really claim to be "young" anymore (the supermarket checkout guy this evening looked at the bottle of wine I was buying, glanced up at me and said, "Yeaahhh, YOU'RE over 18!" in a way that made me want to slap him round the face with a wet kipper) I do know what you mean about developing a mellower attitude towards the advancing years.

    Not sure how chilled I'll feel about them when I am actually 40, though. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the 29th, actually - I have 30 days left in my 30s.

    My youngest son's birthday is the 22nd, so August is always a fun birthday month around here! It is a fine month indeed...

    And I keep hearing that 40 is the new 20, so what is there to fear, anyway? :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh please........you're a baby. Wait until you are old and decrepit like me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am about 1.5 yr behind. I had the same longing of the number 3 as a part of my age number. I know you can have a blast on anyday regard less of the number. Chai-Yo!!! (a Thai word equivalent of Cheers).

    ReplyDelete