Pages

Monday, January 02, 2006

My Two Sons


I've been in portrait mode again the last week or so. This is from a portrait I had made of my two boys back in November. It's just such a cute pose, I couldn't help trying it out in acrylics. I'm using watercolor canvas board for this painting - my first real attempt at it. I started with an underpainting in burnt umber and am slowly layering on very diluted washes of color - yellow ochre, cadmium red medium and some white in the highlighted areas. I'm also adding a little payne's gray here and there for extra depth - and to wash over the background. It's a little tedious at times, but I am really liking the results so far.

In the original portait, the boys have on red shirts with blue and white stripes. I just didn't have the patience for that - dontcha just love art?

I'll post updates as it progresses! OH - and the big black shadow at the top is from my easel - sorry!

UPDATE - here's where I am tonight... (a little cropped.)

1 comment:

  1. They ARE cute -- this is going to be a great painting!

    ReplyDelete