Pages

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

My Two Sons - Portrait update


Okay - I've been up late every night working on this, and it is progressing, but at a snail's pace. Layer and layer and layer and layer - that's the name of the game. I'm finished with the skintones and maybe the shirt (although I may add another layer or two of red to deepen the tone). I'm currently at work on the hair and I still have to do eyebrows and eyelashes. I'm not totally confident of those, though, so I'm going to do a little research first! There is a great forum over in WetCanvas on portraiture, and they have a couple of "classes" on eyes, so I think I'll do a little reading and studying and then tackle those lashes and brows.

I've started the next in my hands series - I'll post it as soon as it is "postable". Thanks for looking!

3 comments:

  1. Looking good! I never could do a good, accurate portrait of my daughter -- seems what I thought and knew about her got in the way of it all. (Actually, I'm really better at drawing strangers than friends or family.) Are you finding it difficult to step back and be "neutral" while doing this portrait of your sons?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely - it's coming up against my resolution against the perfection monster in a mighty way! I find myself measuring the proportions constantly - in my mind Derek has such a cute little turned up nose, but in reality it's not so turned up and I have to go back and correct it - I have been trying to leave it alone for long stretches and come back when my mind is good and clear!

    A good friend stopped by tonight, who knows my kids really well and said I had Joshua (on the right in the portrait) spot on - so that was encouraging!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes -- I can see that little Mr. Joshua looks like you! Can't wait to see how this progresses!

    ReplyDelete