Pages

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Happy New REAR!



Yet another person to jump on the annual gotta lose some weight bandwagon - but I'm dragging all of you into it - so now you have permission to ask me how it's going!

Valri posted this over in a WetCanvas forum and I thought it was perfect - I don't know the orignal author - if anyone does, let me know and I'll give appropriate credit -

Twas the day after Christmas, and all through the house
Nothing would fit me, not even a blouse.
The cookies I'd nibbled, the eggnog I'd taste
At the holiday parties had gone to my waist.

When I got on the scales there arose such a number!
When I walked to the store (less a walk than a lumber).
I'd remember the marvelous meals I'd prepared;
The gravies and sauces and beef nicely rared,

The wine and the rum balls, the bread and the cheese
And the way I'd never said, "No thank you, please."
As I dressed myself in my husband's old shirt
And prepared once again to do battle with dirt---

I said to myself, as I only can
"You can't spend a winter disguised as a man!"
So--away with the last of the sour cream dip,
Get rid of the fruit cake, every cracker and chip

Every last bit of food that I like must be banished
Till all the additional ounces have vanished.
I won't have a cookie--not even a lick.
I'll want only to chew on a long celery stick.

I won't have hot biscuits, or corn bread, or pie,
I'll munch on a carrot and quietly cry.

I'm hungry, I'm lonesome, and life is a bore---
But isn't that what January is for?
Unable to giggle, no longer a riot.
Happy New Year to all and to all a good diet!

5 comments:

  1. PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT!!! Love the sentiment, the scale, the resolve ... (can I have of that too!) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't even get on the scale till next week. Double YIKES! in this house. Started doing my on combination of WW and South Beach and will see how it goes. Love the feet and the scale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great poem... so glad you shared it with us all. The drawing is a wonderful reminder too--ahh, the dreaded scale. It is hard, grueling work to lose the extra ounces/pounds, but eating healthier does have so many other rewards... please,may I remember that when I even SEE a chocolate chip cookie. Why are they so darn good?

    ReplyDelete
  4. WONDERFUL poem and illustration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute entry. Does happy new Rear mean you've managed to keep a smaller version of same or anticipate whitling away at your rear will your New Year's resolve and lifestyle? Whichever it is I loved your scale.

    ReplyDelete