Pages

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy New Year!!!!

I can't believe it's 2006 already. Where does the time go? Back during the summer, when I started this blog, I never would have imagined I would still be as dedicated to keeping it up to date as I have been, nor would I have imagined the community of artists I have come to know through it. Thank you all for your encouragement, your kind words and for visiting on a regular basis. I'm honored to have you here.

At the stroke of midnight, I wrote down a list of Art Resolutions -goals really - for 2006. Here they are, as illustrated in my moleskine (another thing I knew NOTHING about a few months ago!)


And in type:

  1. Draw from life more. Stop relying so much on photographic references.
  2. Banish the perfection monster. Remember that it is not about being perfect, but about being true, real and creative
  3. Take at least one class or workshop this year.
  4. Draw in public, and answer the question, "Are you an artist?" with "yes" rather than with "well, kind of, I mean I like art and..."
  5. Develop a series. Build a little depth in something.
  6. Have a LOT of FUN creating new things!

Just to start things off right - here's the first in my series of hands in graphite I plan to do over the next month or two. It is from a photo reference, but let's just take one thing at a time, shall we?

Please forgive the very obvious stitch right down the middle - I had to scan in two parts and I haven't figured out all the ins and outs of GIMP yet to equalize the sides. This is on 11x14" matboard - 2B graphite.

May the new year bring many blessings to all of you. God Bless...

6 comments:

  1. Diahn, you are off to a flying start! The hands are terrific. Goodluck with your resolutions - they sound very achievable to me. I could also pay attention to the "are you an artist" one in particular! Happy New Year to you and here's to lots of artistic growth in 2006!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diahn, your hand drawing is fantastic! What a great series this is going to be. You and I need to plan on meeting sometime this year and going sketching together! (Maybe it will be easier to face the "monster public" if we go in twos ...)
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diahn, these hands are fantastic. You ARE an artist. Your drawing has inspired me to spend more time and put more effort into my own drawings and make them just that - drawings rather than sketches.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:08 AM

    Good luck with your goals - I'm sure you'll achieve them. The hands are very good, you are on the right path to making large improvements this year.

    Detlef
    http://www.detlefjumpertz.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great list-and you are off to a wonderful start with your hands drawing. Such a good idea to do a series of one thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What obvious stitch? Your sketch of the hands is so good I would never have noticed it & who cares, anyway? Super! Now I suppose I had better think about my own art resolutions...

    ReplyDelete