Pages

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Atticus

Atticus

I made it! I'm in Louisiana, with the fabulous Melinda! We stayed up half the night talking, so if my post today has bags under its eyes, I'm sure you'll understand and try not to stare, right?

I brought Atticus with me. He is the first in what I hope will be a long series of literary-themed bird paintings that I'll be working on when I get back to Arlington. It combines a lot of things that I love...birds, books, stacking things, cryptic references, irony...so I'm UBER excited about it. When I got the idea for the series, this was the first book I had to do - it's a lifelong favorite of both of ours, and I knew immediately when I started painting that it was for her.

Tonight, we're planning on dinner at the Olive Street Bistro with a group of Melinda's friends, including Lisa, who is my friend as well. We've not actually met, of course, but we've got a healthy correspondence to back up the claim that we're already friends.

I love the internets.

Oh - and Mark...

Eh-Too-Fay

The eh-too-fay was DELICIOUS...

4 comments:

  1. oh what perfect time. makes me wish I was not in Atlanta when you were in my fair state!!! And I love Atticus. It's my favorite book too. Can't wait to see more - may I suggest "Daisy" and The Great Gatsby?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful image! Genius idea! I can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!!
    That Etouffee looks...ahem...scrumptious.
    I can only guess that the mixture of celery, onion and onion tops was to your liking. Hopefully the mushroom soup, green peppers and creole seasoning was proportionally correct to the schrimp and the crawfish tails.
    Bonn Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurray, Diahn--you made it! I am so looking forward to dinner tonight and to seeing more of your super-clever sketches.

    ReplyDelete