Pages

Monday, February 16, 2009

Light.

SI Castle Window

I've noticed the days getting longer, and the quality of light changing this last week or so.  Even though the temperatures have been chilly, the darkness is receding.  While out on the National Mall on Sunday, I even noticed some bushes sprouting some yellow flowers.  They reminded me of the forsythia that usually start blooming about now farther south of here, but I'm not sure exactly what they are.  All I know is that they lifted my spirits.

This room lifted my spirits, as well.  It's the west wing of the Smithsonian Castle, and it is a beautiful space.  It's the first Smithsonian space that I've been in that wasn't crowded with throngs of loud-talking, inconsiderate people.  The soaring ceilings and beautiful windows and skylights let in a ton of light and warmth, and the soft velvet benches provided ample seating to enjoy the collections.  It's a place I believe I'll find myself on those days when I venture out alone, in need of quiet reflective time.

7 comments:

  1. Light is good. Soft, velvety seats are good. Castles are good. Places that make you happy are very, very good...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hermana, I am so enjoying DC through your eyes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you get to find the favorite place there. It looks huge but serene. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That ceiling is wonderful. I love beautiful architecture. Looks like you've found a haven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a gorgeous photo! i'd like to live near to this as well and be able to go there to reflect on life and how blessed i am. thanks for sharing.

    the prizes from my give-away are shipping to you tomorrow. i had a terribly busy week last week and never made it to the post office! take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh - I know - it is beautiful. I can't wait to go back. Maybe this weekend...hmmm...

    Thanks for all the comments!

    And Julie - I'm looking forward to it! Can't wait to see them in person!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful image of part of the Castle. It really does exude a peaceful vibe.

    ReplyDelete