Pages

Friday, February 13, 2009

Bye Bye Blackbird

Red Winged Blackbird

Last Sunday, as we walked toward the Lincoln Memorial, Doodlebug and I spotted a red-winged blackbird sitting in a leafless shrub.  I couldn't get my camera in place quickly enough, but seeing the little blackbird made me want to draw one.  So - I turned to the trusty WetCanvas reference library and found a lovely photo, graciously provided by Dave Slaughter.

It's funny.  This was my favorite bird when I was a kid.  I'm pretty sure it's because I could identify it in the air - the flash of yellow and red surrounded by all that deep, dark black.  I can still remember learning about them in my kindergarten class in upstate New York.  My mom has always enjoyed birding, and I can remember looking for these birds with her.  Of course, they were everywhere, so I had immediate success. 

Maybe that's the key to a lifelong love of something - immediate success.

No.  Wait.  I've had a lifelong love of music and art and other pursuits in which I didn't have immediate success.  Ahhh...

The key to a lifelong love of something - immediate joy.

Yes, indeed.

8 comments:

  1. You did a great job on the blackbird! WOW!
    I paint in watercolors and I've been thinking I would like to do more birds. Thank you for the inspiration!

    -Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Punkin, you have really impressed me with this drawing!! I am totally blown away with it. You know how much your old pop is drawn to art, but this is super, super, super
    Pop

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy, brown paper sketchbook!! What kind is it?

    Really nice looking blackbird! Sounds like you are all enjoying your new move.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like I like I like! I am so into birds right now. Watching them, drawing them and such joy when I see someone else draw them.
    Thanks Diahn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your redwing blackbird takes me right back to my childhood. i never see one around here anymore. maybe i'm not out playing in the woods and fields enough these days. hee hee

    lovely job on the journal and you hit the nail right on the head about true success!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful sketch! I've never seen one of these birds. Thanks for introducing me to them. Now I'll know if I ever do see one!

    Have a Happy Valentine's Day with your sweetheart and your kidlets!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh -- that is great! I love how you've added color to the wings on this one. What pencil are you using to get such dark blacks? I can't get my darks dark enough on this darn paper!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this is awesome! Off to explore more of your blog. Marva

    ReplyDelete