Pages

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Visitor




Sunday afternoon the kids in the neighborhood came across this little girl. She's got on a collar with a rabies vaccination tag, but it is out of date and the vet clinic that it was registered to doesn't keep the owner information in their computer longer than a year (how lame is that???). She's a sweet girl - at least 2-3 years old, according to that tag (it was from 2005) and she is currently renting the doghouse out back.


So.

The boys and I made flyers and passed them out all over our neighborhood and two other neighborhoods nearby. We also let the local shelter know we had found her in case anyone was looking. Given the smell that is currently emanating from this pup, she's been away from home awhile, although she's not overly scrawny. Slim, for sure, but not starving. She's been very sweet to the humans here, but I introduced Oscar and Chico to the mix today to see what she would do.

Strangely enough, she and Chico did okay. He sniffed...she growled...he walked away. No hay problema.

She and Oscar did not fare so well. It may be time for a little Dog Whisperer action.

I think Dr. SmartyPants (the softy) is secretly hoping nobody claims her so we can keep her. I don't know. She's got to have a serious bath and a cat-scan. Literally. If she is not nice to Ben, forget it. She is obviously a Jack Russell Terrier, so she is going to have a need to chase things like cats.

I don't know.

The boys have already named her "Precious." AS IF. I mean, please. "Precious?" I think we can do better than that. Something has to stand up to those manly names the other critters have.

IF no one claims her and IF she passes the cat scan (and getting along with Oscar) and IF a fabulous wonderful literary strong name pops into my head. THEN I'll think about it.

At least there would be another girl in the house...

OH - and hey everyone...if you have a dog/cat/bird/ferret...whatever...PLEASE put a collar with ID on it. I mean really. It's simple. It's cheap. You could have your pet back.

7 comments:

  1. Harper. That's a good strong literary name. So is Praxilla. But she looks more like a Harper to me.
    (She is NOT a "Precious" -- if they wants a "precious" they needs to gets a ring, they does...)
    You're nice to take care of her in the meantime. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanksgiving 1995 all over again....kids find stray dog...bring home dog...take her back to park they found her at..bring her back home....make flyers, go to pet shelter......13 years later; Dottie is an old women with arthritis and we are growing old together! I swear, dogs spot us sucker families a mile away!!!! She is adorable and another girl in the house is a plus! And Linda told me not tell you but her and I have something you don't have.....yet....till your next MD appt. that is. NO Linda, I didn't tell her!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:17 PM

    Face it, she's named, she's photo'd, she's yours.

    But I think she looks like a Lucy. Even though everyone will thnk she's named for I Love Lucy. I had a cat named Lucy Locket once. She was named after a cat in a detective novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, yeah, so she's staying then?! ;) Don't you just love the Dog Whisperer and now knowing what these dogs are really saying!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Linda...Harper is a great name. And when you want to be stern with her, you can shout, with a strong southern drawl, "HARPER LEEEEEEE!!! Puwt that cat down rawt now!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup, I think you have a new dog... Can't agree with you more on the tag issue. My dogs have name and address tags and are micro-chipped, how's that for overly attached to my animals? Took me just a minute to get the "cat scan" part :) cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You fed it, you got it. She is a little cutie.

    ReplyDelete