Pages

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

A Boy and a Girl




A long time ago in a land far away...
okay - nine years ago in Florida -


A boy made a promise to a girl - a promise to love, honor, cherish, bring a fresh cup of coffee to her in the morning to wake her up - in sickness and in health. And every day since then, all 3,285 days, he's done just that. Well, except for the coffee thing - but he did have to travel for work occasionally.


It was a gamble nine years ago. They hadn't known each other long - just 3 months, in fact. But, it has turned out to be a winning proposition. A whirlwind courtship, and whirlwind wedding at the coast, and a whirlwind of activity over the last nine years - they've made 2 beautiful children, built 3 houses, raised dogs and cats, bought countless cars and a pop-up camper. They've laughed and cried and held hands and traveled and grown in faith and love and joy and promise.


Nine years is not much in the great scheme of things, I know, but it represents so much to this couple. It's a number on the way to a greater number. Her parents just celebrated their 45th anniversary, his will have their 50th at the end of the month. There are people who said this crazy marriage wouldn't last a year, maybe three. But this couple knew better. They knew like you know when you've walked in the door to your home.


It just feels like home.


I love you, R. More now, 9 years later, than the day on the beach when we held out the camera and took this picture.


DRUL

3.14159...

8 comments:

  1. I've often said that if my husband had asked me to marry him the day I met him I would have. You just know don't you? This is beautiful and I raise my glass of left over champagne to you and R. To many more years of good, happy, sad, trying, ecstasy and all else that comes with married life and kids! Maybe I'll have two glasses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary! You guys are a great couple -- and you're both STILL this cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to announce your anniversary! Happy days forever!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:55 PM

    Happy anniversary to you! I'm as happy in my marriage of 16 years as you are in yours---what a gift! Here's to many more years of happiness to us all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful! I'm misty-eyed. Happy Anniversary...and I, probably better than anyone, know that this man makes you happy. You never stayed with anyone this long...much less, had two kids, built 3 houses, etc. I'm so happy you found him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:21 PM

    Awww that so sweet. It seems you both found a home or 3.

    janey
    http://janeysjourney.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is really sweet. Your picture is timeless

    ReplyDelete