Pages

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Flamingo. Redux.

Flamingo Sketch on Kraft

So this is the original sketch for the painting I posted on Thursday - I just transferred it to kraft paper and painted the pink and white parts with gouache, and left the blacks in pencil. I don't know why, but I like this more than the painting with the books. What do you all think?

See - here's what happens...I like to sketch kind of big, so I use a 9x12 pad to do my sketches, then shrink them down on the copier to whatever size fits my painting paper - in this case, the painting of Alice was 5x7, so there's quite a bit of size difference. Then, I get all fiddly and start drawing in individual feather lines - WHICH I LIKE - but sometimes I feel like the freshness of the original sketch gets lost in the process of making a completed painting.

sigh.

One day I'm going to be satisfied with what I do, I think. Really.