Pages

Monday, April 30, 2007

My Flemish Technique

Okay - just because you asked...here's how I did the apple.
I called it a Flemish technique, but really it's quite heavily modified - first the traditional technique is in oils, and I'm using acrylics, and second, I'm impatient and undisciplined...if you want to know more about the real thing, take a look here.
So, anyway - here we go...
My step 1, which is really like 3 steps - the drawing, the imprimatura (which is really just toning the canvas) and the umber layer to establish the lights and darks.
Step I...Umber Layer
Next up is the dead layer. Now - having done this, I think I could have completely skipped the umber and gone straight to the dead layer - seems a bit redundant to me. This is really the meat of the painting - I used Payne's Gray and white gesso here - and really worked to model the form. This is also where the most time was spent - revising shape, shadow and highlight. At the end of this stage is really a nice painting - only in grayscale...
Step II...Dead Layer
Now I started glazing color onto the painting. I used a very heavy glaze - that is a lot of glaze to a little paint. I probably could have done with less glaze, but I wanted to make sure I didn't go too thickly here...next time I'll probably use more color...
Step III...First Color Glazes
Step III cont...more color glazes
Step III cont...more color glazes
The last layer consists of the most opaque paint - mostly in highlights and areas that need re-defining after all those color layers. So, this is where I ended up...
Final Painting
I was inspired to try this after looking at the artwork of Mark Woodland - go check out his site!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the demonstration, Diahn - I'm bookmarking this so I can come back and study it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brava, Diahn. I have never attempted this because, frankly, the seven weeks between layers reminds me of my recent approach to housework! Now I'm thinking I may try it in Acrylic first. Most enjoyable demonstration. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, Robyn! Isn't that how you are supposed to approach housework??? :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really neat. I love how you showed all the different stages. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Diahn, that is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh -- this is awesome! I can't believe I'm just now seeing it! I don't think you would want to skip any layers -- this is really perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. Love to see all the stages.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:38 PM

    Very nice!!! I like the end result.
    i'm gonna try it with oil paint one day.

    Greetings,
    Ilja

    ReplyDelete