Pages

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Red Lion

I took the reference picture for this drawing last fall at the Knoxville Zoo. The lioness was out sunning herself on a warm September day. I've loved the photo since I took it, and always wanted to do something with it, but until a few nights ago, never did. I can't tell you why I decided on stippling, except that I find it very restful and I love to watch form develop as more and more layers of dots are added. The red is, of course, because it is June and that's red month. Having scanned it, I see that the ear on the left doesn't look like it belongs on that cat, especially compared to the one on the right. So - I'll probably go fiddle with that...

5x8 pigma micron 01 and 05 in my Moleskine sketchbook.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Very nice - i can't see the ear problem but it is interesting how often scanning shows up a peculiarity you hadn't noticed before

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the lioness, as she is so beautiful in her simplicity of creation. truly moving to see that work and be reminded of how important each small mark is in a creation! thanks for posting/sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really good. Your comments inspire me towards a stippled picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, we MUST go sketcrawling now, because I really want to see this one in person! Stippling is such a fun thing on good paper, and you did a super job on this baby!

    ReplyDelete