Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Dude, Where's My Car?


Ferrari 250 Testarossa (replica), originally uploaded by diahn.


So. Yeah.


You know how Mondays are always a little crazy and hectic and irritating because you have to squeeze your suddenly weekend-expanded life back into the small space that seems to exist for everything on weekdays? My Mondays are particularly hectic, as they involve multiple tennis lessons, piano lessons and up until this week, puppy physical therapy. I spend most of Monday driving my car from one side of town to the other, always frantic to get some place on time.


Yesterday, Dr. SmartyPants had an early meeting, and was out the door at about 7 am, so I sat back down on the couch for a few minutes to drink the remainder of my coffee before waking the boys to get our day started. He walked out the door, and within a minute walked back in.


"Did you put your car in the garage?" he asked.


"No. It wouldn't fit with all the furniture refinishing going on - of course I didn't put it in the garage. Wait. Why?"


"It's not outside."


"Are you kidding?"


"No."


I walk to the front door and stare rather stupidly at the space that once boasted a new-to-me Ford. I blinked. I walked back into the house and went to the garage, thinking that perhaps I'd had a bout of sleep-furniture-and-car-moving.


Nope. No car there.


"Did you lock it when you got home from the store?"

"I don't know. I usually do. But I don't know. There's no glass on the driveway. Didn't you drive it to get supper?"

"No. I took my truck."

"Then I guess I didn't lock it. Dang."

"How could they have taken it without a key?"

And that's when it hit me. The spare keys were in the center console. I'd rushed off to the store the day before and couldn't find my regular keys. I grabbed the spare set and when I got to the store, I realized I had my regular keys hooked to my purse. I threw the spare set into the center console, thinking I'd get them out when I got home.

I've never even taken those keys out of the house before Sunday.

We stared at each other for a while. Then the Smarty called the county sheriff's office. We learned something interesting: When you report your car stolen, the police don't come out to your house. They just put your info into the stolen car database.

It made me feel a little neglected.

We called the bank and the insurance companies. We realized that there was a housekey on that set of spare keys, so we figured we would need to change locks. I started calculating the value of the tennis gear in the back. I texted the boys' tennis coach to see if we could borrow racquets.

I felt numb.

Someone stole my car. MY car. my CAR. In 43 years of living, this has never happened to me. I couldn't believe it. We were all stunned. My neighbors were stunned.

We live in a safe neighborhood. I lived in Virginia for two years and left my house here vacant, with my neighbors looking out for it, and never had an issue. It's a tight little cul-de-sac where we are constantly up in each others' business.  How could this happen here?

I found out later that other neighbors' cars had been rifled through, but apparently I was the only idiot who actually left the thieves a gift of keys.

The good news is that the police found the car, not more than three miles away from our house, in another neighborhood. I can only assume that someone walked out of their door to go to work and thought, "Did I sleep-purchase a new car?" Realizing that they hadn't, they called the police to report a found vehicle. We picked it up before lunch time.

The detective in charge of the case called later in the afternoon and told us they believed it was kids, out looking for exactly what they found in our driveway. They drove it around until they had to get home and just left it in another neighborhood. He said we should be thankful the car was not damaged, and that all the tennis gear was still in the back. And we are. We're very thankful.

All we lost was time. Dr. SmartyPants lost a day's work. We lost $150 in new door hardware. We lost $175 in towing charges. We'll lose whatever it costs to get a vehicle re-keyed. I lost a lot of sleep last night, waking at every. single. noise, wondering if my car was still in the garage. We lost a lot of peace and tranquility.

We lost all of that so that some jackass juvenile detention reject could drive a Ford Escape around the burbs.

I'm still pissed. 

8 comments:

  1. Whew! At least they took the Ford Escape and not the Ferrari! :)

    Glad to hear you got it back intact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right. I keep the Ferrari tucked inside my bra. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And now I know...The Rest of the Story. Thanks! Just one thing...the towing charges? When you found it, was it out of gas?
    Did you lost the original set of keys again?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No! The sheriff's department had it towed from where they found it to a local towing lot! And I got to pay for that! Yay me!! It still had 1/4 tank of gas and I have the original keys.

    And AAA.

    *fuming*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, better than having to completely replace the car. Grrrrrr....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um, well, I relate and fume on, of course, but Diahn, you GOT IT BACK!!?!! Last year our truck was taken from our driveway. It was--get this--a 25 year old Ford F-150 that barely ran. The cop theorized someone towed it off, as the starter had to be turned over 50 times before actually doing the job. Who would steal an old truck? We never got it back. It's probably been parted out. I still look at the bumpers of every old F-150 I see, 'cause I knew every dent. If I ever spot it, it'll probably just be the bumper after all.

    So, yeah.. Angry I get, but you GOT IT BACK! Just be glad. Sometime. Okay?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure you are pissed. That feeling of some stranger going through your stuff, then actually taking it, Oh, I'm sure you are. As others said, it could have been much worse, the gear still in the back and all. Maybe this will make you feel a little better, helped my youngest by a little Ford Focus, she had it parked outside her apt in Philly, woke up and it was gone, never to be found.
    I'm glad you got yours back, in time, you'll be able to sleep again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mark and Deborah - I am thrilled we got it back - more than that, I'm thrilled that we got the boys' tennis gear back. I was honestly more upset about that than I was about the car. I never imagined that A. we'd ever see the car again and B. that it would be located so quickly. I know how it could have gone down, and I'm very relieved at how it worked out.

    More than anything, I'm just offended that someone thinks that what they did was fun, and they will receive no consequences for their action - not just for my vehicle, but for the half-dozen others that were broken into in the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete