Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

It's Been a Long Time


I seem to have fallen off the blogging train. It's not that I don't love you all, I do. I just find myself a very uninteresting person lately.

Except for the car theft.

And the paraplegic dog.

I have a feeling those are going to be my benchmarks of life from now on.

"How was your week?" you may ask...

"Well. My car wasn't stolen, and all my dogs have use of all four limbs. I'd say it's been a damn fine week, overall."

But other than those dramatic happenings, life has been pretty repetitive. Schoolwork, tennis, dog therapy, laundry avoidance, vacuuming up the endless supply of German Shepherd fur, grocery shopping, supper making, lather, rinse, repeat.

The things that haven't made the list, lately, are big things.

Huge things.

Important things.

Like drawing, painting, photographing, and writing. Like playing the piano and the guitar. Like dreaming and imagining and creating. And I miss them.

I miss them fiercely.

And so I plan, and I scheme, and I try to eke out a little time for those things. I played the guitar the other day for about 15 minutes. Then I looked at the clock and realized I was running late for someone's tennis lesson or piano lesson or dentist visit or whatever and I put the guitar in its stand and haven't touched it, except with a dust rag, since.

I looked at my calendar yesterday, and realized that this coming weekend is the only weekend that isn't booked solid through the end of October. Where do people carve out the time to feed their creativity?

How do you do it? How will I do it?

Because, you see - I must. I have to. I will.

Who is with me? Who wants to feed their creative monster? It doesn't matter what you do to be creative - sing, dance, paint, photograph, cook, sew, knit, crochet - the world needs more of it.

Leave me a comment with an idea of how to keep creating in the midst of a busy life, and let's spark a little artistic revolution.


5 comments:

  1. I've been feeling the exact same way. Life is good, no major problems, just a lot of mundane, routine days. For me, when I want to feel alive and inspired or just reminded of how beautiful life can be, I turn on my music or go for a walk or a bike ride. Or sometimes, I call up one of my amazing girlfriends (hint-hint) and remind myself that I'm not alone. And laugh. And drink.
    Sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I was just thinking yesterday about how I used to put up a new blog header every month (can you imagine!) but for some time now I can't manage it more than once a season. I too was recently in a creative slump, I felt as if I had lost the drive completely. I think we creative types must overwork our brains so much that sometimes they just need a break. I decided to just relax and wait for it to pass and amazingly, it did. Yours will too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with ya, sister! I just came across some collage work from a few years ago - and found myself longing to carve out time for it again! I HAVE to clear the space on a table top, the time from work and life - and DO IT!
    Good luck to both of us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have such an uncontrollable creative itch, and very little time to scratch it. Sometimes when I have small moments I am so tired, or so excited, or so depressed that I let the moment pass. But many times I fill them with a little something - a small sketch - something. I think of these moments as small flowers growing against all odds between the cracks in a sidewalk.

    Ever since I started my blog (and of course long before), I have been working full-time, and caring for my autistic son (with the ever-present help of my wife of course). I am very busy.

    I mostly solved the problem at first by sketching folks while out at lunch. That's not working so well for me anymore (because I am losing interest in the subject). Still I carry my moleskine with me everywhere..

    The other day I ended up sitting at a mall with my son while my wife ran into a store - three sketches. Not great stuff. But it scratches the itch & the practice makes me improve the slightest bit for when I have time for something better.

    The other night I was so tired at the end of a long day. So I sat in bed with a sketch pad, turned the tv to C-Span, turned down the volume, and sketched a few slimy politicians before I collapsed in utter exhaustion. There is always time if you will make it.

    One artist I have met online has the motto "If I am sitting, I am sketching." That is what I strive for. Doesn't always work, but when it doesn't I try not to berate myself too thoroughly. There's always next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know!!! But don't you think we are finding time to be creative in different ways that aren't so easily shared? It isn't quite the same thing, but if you look at how you've been spending your time and know that it has been doing something you would never ever trade for time in front of an easel, then it HAS been "good stuff". I think that as the weather cools and things slow down we will both find ourselves returning to our old creative ways.

    At least, that's what I'm counting on....

    :-)

    ReplyDelete