Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

School is back in session

...and I have mixed emotions about it. On the one hand, it's nice to have a few mornings a week to call my own, but on the other hand, it's awfully early to start school, in my opinion. I remember, back in the day, not starting until the day after Labor Day. I realize that kind of dates me, but it's true. I firmly believe that the time between Memorial Day and Labor Day sacred summer time. Alas, the school board did not choose to consult me on this, so I guess we'll just go with the flow.
Linda and I had an art-excursion type morning. We first headed over to the McClung Museum on the university campus and poked around their exhibits. I got a chance to draw skeletal figures, rather than the fleshy ones I've been concentrating on recently. Wonderful place, the McClung. It's going on my list of places to visit weekly , I think. Chock FULL of wonderful things to draw, benches on which to sit, non-intrusive docents...VERY nice.
IMG_0001
IMG_0002
Derwent drawing pencils in large Moleskine sketchbook.
We also went over the the art museum and checked out the Rembrandt exhibit. I must say, it was breathtaking. Honestly - his faces are just remarkable. Some of the etchings are no more than 2 inches across, and yet he somehow manages to portray them with intense emotion and wonderful character. I'm going to be sharpening my pencils to a needle-like point and seeing what I can do in reducing the figure to this size. I was honestly moved by them - if you have a chance to see them, here or elsewhere, please do. I'll be going back and taking my kids before it goes away.
So that's the plus of school starting. I had an entire morning devoted to art and friendship and not once did I have to tell Linda to stop daydreaming and finish her homework. sigh.

5 comments:

  1. What fun! I agree -- we should go regularly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure is nice that the two of you can get together and sketch, visit exhibits and simply share a common interest.

    And it does seem strange to have some of the kids back in school now. Our county fairs are just starting which always signaled the end of summer for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sketches are really wonderful, Diahn.I'm sorry for your kids being back in school - I agree, it's way too early - but, selfishly, this way we get to see more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aahhh! The blessings of school starting! Sounds like you both had a great morning! Looking forward to seeing the fossil room...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love girlfriend days! And when you have a special girlfriend like Linda to do art stuff with it's great! I love having Dianne as my art pal and friend too! Your sketches are totally awesome! I love portraiture and keeping thinking if I studied skulls and sketches them it would improve my portrait skills.

    ReplyDelete