Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Long Live the King

king


I woke up this morning remembering the news of a morning 30 years ago. I still remember hearing the news, crying, watching my mother and my grandmother cry. It was tragic. I was a child, but I knew Elvis. I mean, I didn't know him personally, but his voice had sung lullabies to me over the record player and the radio. My brother tried to copy his lip stylings, with limited success and much to the delight of all the relatives. It was a sad, sad morning. It is the first time that tragedy had stretched out it's hand and touched my life, really. Even as remote as it was from me personally, it was the first time I remember crying over a news story. It would be the first of many of those, unfortunately. Crying for a light snuffed out too soon, a lost boy in need of saving, a nation oppressed and in bondage. I guess it represents to me the loss of the self-indulgent childhood that only sees the things that directly impact one's own life.


One week short of 12 years later, another light was extinguished way too soon. Brian Ray Johnson, 9/5/65-8/9/89. He left behind a whole lot of people who were better off having known him. And, even if he never got those Elvis lip-stylings quite right...I still thought he was an amazing brother. He was in his (very) early twenties when he wrote and recorded this song - he was, as Mo said "...a wonderful, intelligent lyricist. A poet with an old soul."


6 comments:

  1. well, since we are sharing Elvis stories....I love to dance..around the house, at parties, at work with the babies in my arms and anytime good music comes on. My mother used to tell me that when I was a baby Elvis was the most popular singer and when he came on the radio I'd beg to be danced in her arms (I was born in 1956). So I too love Elvis and when I play his music...I wanna just dance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the "king" you drew instead, some how it has the feeling of things lost from childhood, life, whatever...I too lost a brother too young so know the feeling of a "light extinguished way too soon."

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have done such great work since I've dropped by the last time and I feel a bit like a stranger, missing so much...yes, it is as if there is one trigger that starts the process and then it is the one loss after another, or maybe it is life just moving along at it's own pace....
    thank you so much for the birthday wishes...I felt so wonderfully special!!
    I love the smoky mountains and went hiking there in Tennessee about 7 years ago and if at all possible, I would love to meet with you...
    Ronell

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the sketch very much. The red is great against the warm buff of the Moleskine. I'm sad to read of your brother's untimely death, Diahn. Elvis's death went right by me, but I know it was a tragic occasion for many.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diahn -- I finally got it downloaded! You were right -- iTunes worked perfectly! It was so neat to hear it on your iPod, and now I have your brother's very cool song on my iPod. I would have loved to have known him -- he sounds like an amazing person ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops -- I forgot to mention how awesome your KING sketch is! :-)

    ReplyDelete