Pages

Monday, July 30, 2007

When the boys are away...

the mom plays...
I haven't painted all Summer...yes, that's right...ALL SUMMER!! I've sketched and I've been to drawing class, but I've not picked up a paintbrush since May. So - this week, while the boys are up to some Abderian Adventures, I thought I'd play a little to loosen up and get back into the painting frame of mind. I started this with a photograph I took last May of a giant pink thistle blossom. I printed the photo out onto regular paper and cut out the blossom (yep... all those little tiny petals...) Then I coated my teeny canvas (5" square) with a layer of fake encaustic - made from Golden regular gel (matte) and a couple of drops of paint, which also served as glue for the image. (check out Acrylic Revolution for the details - you can find it at Amazon) After that dried, I layered some more "encaustic" on it and waited for it to dry. Then, I painted on top of all of that, added the text, waited for it to dry and added one last layer of matte gel. Voila...I've now painted something. Whew. I was getting worried...
The image in scale with a roll of masking tape...
Thistle with scale
And all cropped and pretty...I can just see a row of these somewhere...can't you?
Thistle

2 comments:

  1. Hey Diahn, come on over and play with me! I am getting ready to start binding a new sketchbook (for trip to europe) and would love to learn 'encaustic' and acrylic and anything else that will set my soul soaring! Your thristle is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS simply rocks. I can see a row of them in my breakfast nook, or to-be-redecorated-dining room. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete