Pages

Monday, July 23, 2007

Another Fine Example of Patient Parenting...

P7123437...or why mommies need a summer vacation...

NOTE: This conversation actually happened...only moments ago. I'm exhausted.

Me: "While we are here, boys, let's take a quick look at something."

D (he's 7 1/2, btw): "But Mom, I thought you said we were not going to get school supplies today."

Me: "Yes, I did say that, but I just want to see if there are some other options for the giant binders you guys try to lug around. You have smaller backpacks this year, and I want to see if I can find something that will still serve the purpose, but fit in the backpack more easily."

D: "Oh. How about this one? (He holds up a type of binder exactly like the one he has, only larger and with a zipper.)"

"No, Honey. That's the same size as the one you have, and we need something smaller. Here's one that has possibilities...What do you think of it?"

"Hmmm. I like the one with the zipper. It's green. I like green."

"I know you do, sweetie, but it's really much too large to fit into your backpack. This other type comes in green though. Maybe we should give it a try?"

(interjection by younger son - "Cool - can I have a red one?" "Sure - red - good job.")

D: "What other colors does it come in?"

Me: "Red, black, blue, dark blue and green."

"But J already has red."

"You can have red, too."

"I want black."

"Okay. Let's get these and go."

"What about the one with the zipper? Can we try it out, too?"

"No. I told you. It's too large. Put it back."

"Trace has one, and it fits in his backpack."

"I. Don't. Care. What. Trace. Has. Put. It. Back."

"How about this one - it doesn't have a zipper. Can we try it out, too?"

"AAAARRRGGGHHH. Forget it. We're not getting ANYthing today. Just like I said earlier."

"Oh. Okay. But when we come back, can I have one with a zipper?"

"whimper"

...thanks, Mom. The boys are looking forward to coming to see you and Dad...

2 comments:

  1. Finally, something I have experience in and can comment on! Prepare for Yoda-like advice.

    Sucks. Just today, Sara asked if she could stay at my mother's with her cousin who's visiting from out of town. "Sure," I said. I'm not crazy, i've learned to jump on every opportunity. When I leave she's sitting in my car. "What are you doing?" I asked, somewhat confused. "Nothing," she said. "I'm leaving, honey, go inside with Katherine." "Sure...It's just that..." she trailed. "It's just that what?" "Nothing," she replied, "Except, I'm hungry. Will you go to Subway and get me a sandwich?" "No," I say, ever so calmly, "I thought you just finished eating." "I did," she replys in an adolescent huff. Me..."??????"....."Nevermind, I'm not hungry, see you tomorrow. Can you bring me some shorts though, in the morning?" she says, smiling brightly.

    My only conclusion is that these people (they call themselves "children") are miniature, mentally unstable people. In a nutshell...insane. Big sigh. And we're they're parents...what does that say about us?

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-D I just can't stop laughing! This is a hoot!

    ReplyDelete