Pages

Saturday, July 21, 2007

More Life Drawing

I missed last week to go visit Mo in T-Town (and had a blast, by the way), so I was feeling quite rusty from NO drawing WHATSOEVER. I've been playing my new Ovation guitar and breaking in my fingers to new ultra light strings (I have no feeling in the tips of the fingers on my left hand...)
ANYhow...we started with 1 minute gestures with our lovely model - she was very graceful and at ease...unlike me...sigh. I used an oil cray-pas for these gestures - just trying to do something new - maybe I should have brought the bona-fide Crayolas, instead.
P7213443
P7213442
I think this is a 30 minute pose, again with the cray-pas. I really struggled with proportion in this drawing. The upper body, about to the elbows, is fine and I'm very satisfied with the face. The rest of it, however was torment. DANG. hands, feet, elbows, knees, fore-shortening...DANG.
P7213441
Another 30 minute pose. This time in my favorite medium for these sessions - 8b pencil. Of all the drawings today, I'm happiest about this one, even though I erased and erased and erased the hands. The proportions are good, I like the composition, the pose was great and the likeness is really spot-on. Whew - this made me happy. The last, long pose should be a breeze, right?
P7213440
Or maybe not...geez Louise. What a travesty. I hated everything about this one. Hated the pose - couldn't find anywhere else to go that it got any better. Hated the hat and the drapey pashmina type thing they put on her that covered up her lovely shoulders - I mean, come on - we can't do nudes - I understand that - but do we have to put even more clothing on them? Maybe they could wear clothes that skim the body MORE instead of draping them in blankets. Ha! Okay - back to what I couldn't do, instead...I had an entire hour for this one and still couldn't manage to get even one of her hands to look like a hand. What on earth is up with that? I can make her FACE look like her (and specifically her - not just any random human being) but I can't make her hands look even remotely like a human hand.
I guess I know what I'll be drawing lots of this week...any volunteers out there for hand models?
P7213444

3 comments:

  1. Oh, FANTASTIC drawings -- I'll agree that your next to the last pencil drawing tops the rest!
    Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say...I like them all, the pencil drawing is of course also my favorite, but I like the gestural lines in the first and even the sleepy face peeping from under the hat! You did great, paralyzed fingertips and all!
    Ronell

    ReplyDelete
  3. That happens to me all the time - I beg and plea for a long pose, and the ones before are much better! Your first pencil one is excellent, and I love the gestures too.

    ReplyDelete