Pages

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Rufus Watercolor

Okay - I sprung for 4 tubes of Winsor and Newton Artists' Water Colour paint earlier this week - something I've been reluctant to do because I really don't know how to use them and the real stuff is kind of pricey. I've had some 140lb Arches cold press sitting around for a couple of months that I've put off using (Yes, Linda - the stuff I bought when we went to the Orangery and Jerry's). So - I finally decided to dive in and use it.

Meet Rufus. He lives on San Salvador, Bahamas, and was one of the subjects in this weekend's drawing event over at Wet Canvas. One look at his face and I knew he had to be painted! I mean - don't you just want to meet him?? Anyhow - when I left it last night (first picture) I was sure I had ruined him. Yikes. But this morning, I decided to see if I could salvage the painting. I was willing to break out the acrylics if nothing got any better.

Well - the second picture is my finish. You can see a full size one here - for some reason, blogger wasn't letting me add it! What do you think? I've got to say I'm pretty happy with it. There are some things I would do differently, now, but overall, I am satisfied that my first real watercolor portrait (I mean with multiple colors - not like the monochromatic last post) on real watercolor paper looks like a person, has semi-realistic flesh tones (that's rarely my goal) and the light you see in watercolor paintings is THERE!! Yippee!!

I wonder what would happen if I sprung for more colors?


8x11 watercolor on Arches 140lb coldpress
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

  1. You did a WONDERFUL job on this portrait! Just great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really quite beautiful. If only Rufus himself could see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just Stunning. I think deep down you know exactly what you are doing with those watercolours and its wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! Tell you what -- when we get together to go sketching, you bring an empty tray along and I'll squeeze out some watercolors -- that way you can decide if you really like it BEFORE you go springing for a bunch!

    ... yes -- I will resort to bribery to make us get our schedules to work together!
    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful and I love the variety of colors you used in his face instead of just trying to make it brown. I'm a watercolor teacher and if I painted that I'd be proud of it! You may not know with your brain what you're doing with watercolors but it's inside you there somewhere because this is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderful portrait...love those colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diahn, I can hardly believe that I missed this in the WDE!! I did him too, and your version is utterly gorgeous! Droolingly so!
    MD

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice job on the facial images. Color is great.

    ReplyDelete