Pages

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

EDM #75 - Mama Dee Pound Cake

Response to EDM Challenge #75 - in my large Moleskine sketchbook.
This is my maternal grandmother's (Mama Dee) recipe for pound cake. She's been making it as long as I can remember, and when I go down to Alabama, she still makes it for me. I've loved it since I was a child. Mama Dee is one of those special people who have had a great deal of influence in my life - more, probably, than I even know.

She grew up during the Great Depression, and still saves her aluminum foil and washes out the ziploc bags after she uses them. She worked her way through nursing school and still refuses to go to the doctor when she's ill. She sent her husband off to World War II and had my mom while he was away. She's outlived both of her parents, two brothers, a grandson and countless cousins and friends. She's been married to my grandfather (Papa Dee, of course) for 65 years and they still share a DOUBLE bed.

I lived with my grandparents for the first year I was in college, and one of my fondest memories is that Mama Dee hummed all the time - mostly old hymns, and usually while she was working in the garden or doing housework. She doesn't remember things like she used to, and she doesn't get out and about as much as she once did, but at 86 years old, she is still making pound cakes, and she's still humming. I hope she always does.
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

  1. I liked your illustration for the recipe a lot, actually that is what caught my eye...I like painting too although I am not as good as you...from your description sounds like you have an admirable grandmother :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely illustration. And lovely story about your grandma!! We Southern grandmas are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you illustrated this recipe with the ingredients in individual, overlapping boxes. And the recipe sounds yummy, too! I might just have to make one ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:39 AM

    I love the shadowed boxes. I also love pound cake. Great way to do a 2 page spread :)

    cheers,

    Anu
    http://schnuckypuss.livejournal.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story and I Love the illustration. I like the way that you have created the 3D effect of the frames around each seperate sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. THIS IS TERRIFIC!!! Love the sketches AND the composition!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful idea-a recipe sketch book. Love how you did this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool. Love these pages!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How delightful! Both the memories and the renderings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mama Dee's wonderful character just oozed from your post and I love the sketchbook recipe.

    ReplyDelete