Pages

Monday, November 13, 2006

Dreams

Have you ever stood at the edge and thought about taking that scary first step into a new thing? Did you take it or did you step back, reconsider, and stay in the safe zone?

My favorite poem growing up was "The Road Not Taken," by Robert Frost. I'm afraid I've taken the well travelled path far too many times, but every now and then that one with the grass growing up between the ruts beckons...



16"x48" acrylic on canvas

1. The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost


TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth; 5

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same, 10

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back. 15

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference. 20

4 comments:

  1. The answer my friend,
    Is blowin' in the wind...
    The answer is blowin' in the wind.

    Sorry. I just HAD to do that! Wonderful painting -- quite a departure for you! I think your rowdy friends are starting to influence your style.
    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-D Indeed. Those Malapert girls are pretty wild, aren't they? I think it's a good thing that it's rubbing off on me - it's kind of fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the painting...and the thought...I love that poem, as well. I usually take the much traveled path, but once I didn't, and that's when I met Raf...good choice on my part!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the painting...love that it's from behind with so many choices ahead. christmas is coming up...hmmm...it would make a lovely gift for a dear friend so many miles away. and i disagree...it's funny how others see your life differently than you do, but, i've always thought your paths have been courageous and not well-traveled.

    ReplyDelete