Pages

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Drifting

I've not been around the blogosphere in a while, for reasons still unclear to me. I'm stymied and stuck; shackled and squabashed. In any case - I've taken a vacation, down to the beach - and spent an entire week free of the things that I'm required to do, and from the responsibilities that I gladly undertake each day in the role of wife and mother. I hope that the break has loosened some creative force heretofore unheard of in this household. Or, that I at least stored up some rest for the everyday stuff so I can stay up all night on the things I am driven to create.

I spent a long time on the phone yesterday with my dear friend. We don't get to talk often, and she lives about 700 miles away, but it seems that anytime I pick up the phone, we pick up where we left off the last time, even if it was months ago. Does everyone have a friend like that? I can't imagine that they do, but at the same time I would wish it for them. I've known her since I was 12 - way more years than I want to count, now, and we've been through just about every emotion and situation together. She's seen me at my best and at my worst (and vice versa) and she loves me anyway. That's how friendship should be, don't you think? Not the constant struggle to stay in the good graces of someone, and always wondering if you've done something to tick them off. Nope - it's being able to pick up a phone, any time of the day or night, and call someone, knowing the first thing they'll ask is "how are you?"

I don't know why I'm waxing all sentimental today - but take it for what it is. I hope you all have a friend like that, and that you are a friend like that. Mo - girl - I love ya. Go buy that Julia Cameron book - commence to writing - you're gifted, my dear friend! Always - Dino
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. So good to see you back! I'd begun to wonder where you were, but thought I remembered a vacation in the works. It's great to have a friend like you described -- I've got one that is the same way. She lives in Oregon now, and we've kept up with each other for 24 years, even though we only lived in the same town for the first year of that time. I'm with you in hoping that everyone has a friend like that, and if they don't, it's not too late!

    Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:18 AM

    Hi Diahn,
    Yes, friends like that are precious. I only have a handful of friends that I've known for that long (we moved around a lot when I was a kid) so they are mostly from college and my first years in business, but they are precious all the same! I hope the stuck mood lifts for you soon - miss your art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:21 AM

    Diahn, I hope the week at the beach has helped. I'm glad you took the time off. I have a friend or two like the one you mention and I also have had unsatisfactory 'friendships' like the other one you allude to, ones in which you're always wondering what you've done wrong now. I extricate myself from those---who needs them, right? I look forward to seeing what you'll be up to when you come back, all charged up ;D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, everyone! I'm looking forward to jumping back in. My sketchbook is calling me - wondering where the heck I've been! I'll try to get something posted soon...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diahn,

    Glad to see a post from you, and an excellent post I might add. Yes, friends like that are truly lifes best gifts! I don't know what I would do with out mine, like yours, we have seen each other at our best and worst and love each other just the same!

    Hopw your vacation stirs some creative juice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i've got a lot of catching up to do...for some reason i've been looking in other places for your blogs and forgot about this one. caught me off guard, i must say. the sketch of brian, the fact that it has been 17 years...i want jesse to see the sketch. and for the record, i'm amazed by you. even in your so-called uninspired place, you inspire me. i miss you...what's the halfway point between knoxville and shreveport?
    ...love - mo

    ReplyDelete