Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

My Very Own Not Safe but Good Lion

Every year (at least in theory) I go through all my digital photos from the past 12 months and put them on a cd for the archives, delete them from my hard drive to make room for more. I guess I should do this more often, but so far it has worked for me. In any case, I have been doing that this week, and I came across a photo I took back in September when my kids went on a field trip to the Knoxville Zoo.

Every time we go to the zoo, we have two places that we absolutely MUST take a photo - at the tortoise sculpture near then entrance to the reptile area, and at the lion sculpture by the food vendor. We took our usual photos at the lion, when suddenly - my youngest climbed back on and gave the lion the biggest hug he possibly could. Precious picture.

Well, having found it, I couldn't help but draw it. When I got finished, it brought to mind a certain book by CS Lewis that has recently been released as a movie. I haven't see the movie, yet, but I have loved the book all my life, and this is my homage to it.


9x12, 140lb cold press wc paper, sepia PITT pen and wc

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:27 PM

    This drawing is so precious! You captured the spontenaity of the moment beautifully. And yes, it does remind one of the movie. I've seen it and loved it!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diahn, this is awesome! You should consider sending a copy of it to the zoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:07 PM

    Just adorable. What a wonderful keepsake of your trip.
    You'll like the movie, too, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete