Pages

Saturday, November 02, 2013

This One

Derek10.20.13

The first. He's like his dad, but not just in how he looks. He has a heart a mile wide and is kinder than I am by a factor of 1000. He's quirky and unique and precious. Precious. That's how people describe him. So many times, I've picked him up from some activity and found him hanging out in the office talking to the adults. Asking questions, sharing stories. 

In a group of mixed ages, he'll be the one with the youngest kids - helping them navigate the waters of the big kid arena. He's sweet and gentle. Encouraging.

I don't know how many times he's opened the door for me as we enter a store and I've gone through, then turned to see him follow. But he doesn't follow. Because there's a large group of people coming and he stayed to hold the door open for all of them, as well. Considerate.

"You look pretty today, Mom." 
"Thank you for breakfast. It was delicious." 
"You're the best Mom in the whole world."

He really thinks that, too. It's not just buttering me up for something. Maybe he's a bit naive.

But I like him that way. He doesn't get worked up about the rest of the world. His drumbeat is internal and steady and completely different from mine. Precious. Encouraging. Considerate. Kind.

My own sweet boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment