Pages

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Silver

Ocracoke Silver Lake

It's places like this that set my heart adrift. I look at the diamonds of light reflected off the silvery water and wonder what it would be like.
What would it be like to live in a town of 900 people, where the pace moves at something resembling the torpid crawl of a tortoise in winter? What would it be like to know every single permanent resident and all their dirty laundry? What would it be like to ride a bike, barefoot, to the local grocer and discover that the milk delivery hadn't been made that day because the ferry-boat was fogged in and couldn't run.
Would I find it liberating or suffocating? I rail against the crowds and the traffic and the noise and the rapid tempo of our days, here. I mourn that I have only brief snippets of time to spend in meaningful discussion with the people who I love. Is moving to an island accessible only by ferry the solution to that, or just a case of the sea oats being greener on the other side of the dune?
Probably, I just need to take the lessons of small town, isolated islands back with me into my everyday life in the bustling real world.
  • Slow down.
  • Breathe deeply.
  • Say hello to neighbors.
  • Smile at the local cat.
  • Sit outside for meals when the weather allows.
  • Try a local brew.
  • Learn to live without and to patiently wait.
  • Spend some time watching birds fly by. 
  • Look for the light.
Love each other.
Give peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment