Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Book 'im, Dan-o

I heart books

I read a book this weekend. Now, that’s not all that unusual – I read a lot of books. I love books. I live for books. Going to the library is like going to church – it’s quiet, it’s introspective, it’s enlightening.

I love to peruse the stacks – wandering from fiction to non-fiction and back again. My favorite thing to do, though, is to let my eyes flick across the spines of the new fiction section – reading the titles and trying to discern which of those beauties is coming home with me for a while.

I totally judge books by their covers. Well. I use the jacket descriptions, too.

Anyway – for the most part, I do all right. I’m generally pleased with my selections, although there have been a few stinkers here and there. I HATE to not finish a book. Even if I don’t love it, I always want to finish it.

That is – I did, until this weekend.

I picked up a novel – I’m not even going to tell you the name of it, because I’d rather shoot needles into my eyeballs than in any way recommend that you read it.  I was staggered by the fact that someone published this novel – it was so bad. The plot was twisted, but not in a good way. The characters were one-dimensional and trite. The setting was undefined and boring. I felt like I had a handle on the twists, though – I figured out the antagonist fairly quickly – thought I understood the motivation for the dastardly deeds, and then…in the second to last chapter...

…out of absolutely nowhere…not a hint…not a clue…

ASTEROID on a COLLISION COURSE with the EARTH.

YES. That is what I said.

There was never any indication that asteroids were even going to be considered. It was not an asteroid kind of novel. It was like the guy got to chapter 20 and realized he had no way to wrap up his mystery and was listening to a little Aerosmith and went all Armageddon on it.

And people? I was righteously pissed. I couldn’t go to sleep. All I could think about was that this guy…this complete dork had gotten paid for that novel – is probably still getting residuals and some kind of income from its sale. Not only that, but that some one had been paid as a reviewer and actually wrote something along the lines of “an author in line to take the place of John Grisham.”

Oh. Mah. Gah.

John Grisham should sue that reviewer for libel.

I did the only thing I could do. I flung the book on the floor next to my bed and tweeted my displeasure. Then I headed to my own personal library stacks and picked up “To Kill a Mockingbird,” in order to cleanse my brain of that other book.

And there I found the sweet nectar of literary genius. I found such nuggets as this:

His sermon was a forthright denunciation of sin, an austere declaration of the motto on the wall behind him: he warned his flock against the evils of heady brews, gambling, and strange women. Bootleggers caused enough trouble in the Quarters, but women were worse. Again, as I had often met it in my own church, I was confronted with the Impurity of Women doctrine that seemed to preoccupy all clergymen.

Sigh.

Thank you, Ms. Lee. While I’ll never understand how you only wrote one novel, I’m forever in your debt for the one you penned…

No asteroids required.

7 comments:

  1. Alrightythen - the following is an unabashed recommend which should satisfy all of your requirements for being a book worthy of recommending to others: Hotel on the COrner of Bitter & Sweet, by Jamie Ford. I know for a fact you are not as old as I am, and one of the reasons I picked up on the book was because my Grandfather was an Immigration Officer charged with guarding Italian, German and Japanese internees during WWII. If you want to teach your boys something important about that period in our history, there is also a TEACHER's guide to go with the book available on the web w/o much effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I will definitely be looking for that one - we are actually just about ready to start reading about WWII here - just finished WWI and are currently talking about the time period between the wars...

    I love book recommendations...

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I like what you did with the pages in the photograph. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) Thanks, Dave! (and I just put a hold on your book rec at the library!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your better than me, I put down many books if I don't like how they;re going, plenty of good stuff out there. To Kill a Mockingbird, a fav of mine. Happy reading

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know how you feel!

    I recently finished a perfectly good book by an author whom I've read twice before. Both times I thought the books were satisfing in that way that only a really good book can be. This time, not so much. Something happens in the book...something defining...and the author leaves it a mystery....I will never know what really happened! At first, I thought...did I just miss it...was the answer there all along...was I just too obtuse to notice it....? Nope, she just left it a mystery. I will think twice before I read another of her books...and that is sad, because she is a very good writer...I just like to have beginnings and endings in what I read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it happens to authors - i agree with stevie. i loved three books by one and the 4th really let me down. not asteroid kinda down but nonetheless, it was a disappointment since i looked forward to the book.

    but...to kill a mockingbird always lifts my spirits.

    ReplyDelete