Pages

Saturday, August 02, 2008

Nature or Nurture?

There have been some people, in the past 40 years of my life, who have claimed I have some control issues.  I know what you are thinking - Diahn?  Control freak?  No way!  She's so laid back and relaxed and spontaneous and freeeeeee.  

Stop laughing Melinda.

Anyway.  This morning I had an epiphany.  See, I've always assumed that the control-freak that I am was a direct result of the life I'd lived - the family I was born into and the outside forces that had shaped us all through the years.  This is not to say that there was anything wrong with my parents or my brother or my sister when she came along, but that no one is BORN a control-freak.  You become one later.  Right?



Well.  This morning, we were all laying in bed watching the Formula 1 qualifying from Hungary, and Dr. SmartyPants asked us if we wanted pancakes for breakfast.  That's kind of his weekend thing - he cooks us all pancakes and bacon after we've spent most of the morning watching auto sports.  

D said, "Yes!"

J, my youngest, and the one most like me, responded like this:

"Yes, I'd like pancakes.  But without syrup.  And I don't want them cut up.  And regular bacon, not turkey bacon, because I don't like turkey bacon.  And can I have some eggs, too?  The flat kind without the yellow part?"

M-hmmm.  I, of course also said, "Yes!"  Because I am a grown-up and I appreciate people doing things for me.  But on the inside...

Well - you know how it goes.  "Yes, but gosh, it's already 9 in the morning, isn't that kind of late to be having such a big breakfast?  And what are we going to do today?  What's the plan..."

I think you're just born with some things, and then you spend the rest of your life trying to figure out how to live with all those other people who don't understand that if it isn't done EXACTLY the way you want it done the world will stop rotating on its axis.

Poor kid.

BTW - this picture has nothing to do with this post, except that I'm a kid in it and my brother is there and we're cute and tan and look like we've been living on an island in the middle of the South Pacific.  But that's just because we were living on an island in the middle of the South Pacific.

No comments:

Post a Comment