Pages

Saturday, September 19, 2009

24th WorldWide SketchCrawl...The DC Version

I headed out the door to my first ever official sketch crawl today, and met up with Christian Tribastone and Joel, whose last name I didn't catch (sorry Joel!). I've been a fan of Christian's drawing for a while, having followed his work on Urban Sketchers, so I was excited to see his sketches in person, and they did not disappoint.

We met at DuPont Circle, in northwest DC, introduced ourselves and started by drawing the fountain.

Dupont Circle Fountain

As you can clearly see in this scan, I need to clean my scanner. Good grief.

As we were drawing, a man walked up and introduced himself to us - actually at the same time Joel got there - and I thought he was one of the group that had seen the announcement on the sketch crawl site. Turns out, he was just passing through and saw us drawing and stopped to find out if we were an organized group. He's an artist - and an art professor - by the name of Chawky Frenn.

How cool - artists coming out of the woodwork. Nice.

After a while, we headed out to find something else to draw, and ended up in Lafayette Square, just north of the White House.

Andrew Jackson

I can't say that I was entirely happy with this drawing...but, I was happy that I was outside, in the sun, drawing anything at all, so there's that. I snuck in a picture of Christian drawing, too...

Christian Sketching

Joel was on the bench next to me. It's hard to sneak a photo of someone sitting right next to you.

An older man - a tourist - stopped and watched over each of our shoulder's for a bit. His wife was not quite as bold, but she did peek surreptitiously a couple of times. While he was watching over my shoulder, he chucked me on the shoulder and told me, "Michaelangelo would be proud."

Heh. He must have forgotten his glasses back at the hotel.

From there, after a bite to eat and a moment to peek through each other's sketchbooks, we headed down to the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden and drew a little while longer. I did manage to grab a photo of both of the guys there, with my iPhone camera.

Christian and Joel sketching

And I managed to find a couple of people slow moving enough for me to attempt...

Gallery Sculpture Garden

It was a really nice, fabulous-weather, kind of day.